Find The Right Contact
When sending a cold email, its important to make an effort to personalize your message its no secret that a personalized email is more likely to be opened, read, and acted upon than a generic mailshot.
Whenever possible, do your research and find out exactly who you need to be sending your email to. For starters, try to find a direct email address rather than a generic help desk email. Then, do your best to find the most relevant person to reach out to. If youre hoping to promote email marketing software but reach out to the head of public relations, youre reducing your chances of success.
How To Start A Formal Email
Confused about how to start a formal email?
Unlike casual emails, formal emails need to be clear and effective right from the start. Otherwise, many recipients wont even read beyond the first sentence.
So what are the dos and donts of how to start a business email?
And more importantly, how do you structure a formal email?
In this article, Ill tell you everything you need to know to start a formal email. Youll also learn the best way to format it and have plenty of formal email examples to guide you.
Good Email Opening Sentences
The first sentence of the email is important. It sets the tone of the email and can inform the reader of the information that follows. Here are some sample email opening sentences:
1.) I enjoyed meeting you yesterday.2.) Thank you for your interest in our company.3.) I just wanted to send you a brief note about4.) I hope you had a lovely weekend.5.) As we discussed at our meeting, I6.) How is everything going?7.) Thanks for your help8.) I have a quick question.9.) Are you familiar with10.) Thanks again for the update.11.) Just checking in to see if12.) I have a quick question.13.) As promised, Im following up on14.) Thanks for the quick response.15.) It was great talking to you last week.16.) Can you provide me with an update on17.) It was great to see you recently.18.) I hope you are doing well.19.) Congratulations on your recent20.) Thank you for your help.
You May Like: Whats Cc Email
What To Include In Your Email Message
- Subject Line: The subject line should concisely convey your purpose for writing. Your subject line can be as simple as “Thank You” or “Request for Recommendation.”
- Greeting: Even if you are writing a very short email, include a greeting. If you know the name of the person, include it. Unless you are on a first-name basis with the person, call them by their title.
- Length: Keep your email as concise as possible. People tend to skim long emails, so only include essential information.
- Closing:Sign off with a brief “Thank you,” “Best,” or another simple send-off, and then your name. Most email accounts let you embed a signature with your name, title, and contact information into every email. It is a terrific way to make each correspondence more professional.
Examples Of Formal Emails In English
Letâs see how all of this works in practice.
Example 1: Delay with the delivery of an order
Subject: Delivery delay
Dear Mr Pascal,
We regret to inform you that we will not be able to respect the deadline previously agreed for the delivery of your order. Our supplier has warned us today that they are experiencing supply problems, which will result in a delay in our production chain. We count on your understanding and thank you for your patience.
Subject: Web Content Editor position
With reference to your job ad in xxx, I would like to submit my application for the position of Web Content Editor in your company.
I graduated in Communication Sciences at the University of xxx and worked for several years in a Digital Agency as Content Specialist. I believe my skills and experience are in line with the requirements for the job position. I will be glad to introduce myself in an interview, that will allow you to better evaluate my possible recruitment.
Please find attached a copy of my resume. I look forward to hearing from you.
You May Like: How Do I Find My Icloud Email
Email Opener For Semi
If you already know your contact, you can use more creative, informal openings based on what you know about them.
This could be events they have attended, articles they have shared, or casual greetings. Here are some ways you can reach out to semi-formal business contacts:
- I hope you enjoyed your
- I enjoyed reading your article on
- Id like to get your advice on
- I hope youre having a great
Use Case #: Email Greetings For Cold Outreach
Theres a fine line to draw when choosing the perfect way to start your email because it will say a lot about you and your brand.
For a formal-style cold email, you can use one of our formal salutations above these ones are more on the side of business-casual.
Saying a simple Hi is a friendly and open way to begin your pitch or kick off a working relationship.
Whats missing here is personalization.
Personalized emails get a higher response rate, up to one-third higher, in fact, according to a study by Backlinko.
This is an extended version of the last one and does work when you dont have the name of who youre contacting.
Its inoffensive and shouldnt generate any backlash, but its also pretty generic and isnt going to get people talking about you.
Having that personal touch in your cold email shows the person you do your research right out the gate.
Combining the personalisation with a simple Hi gives that approachable vibe, like the friendly person across the co-working space or salesperson helping you buy your next car.
You cant go far wrong with a Hi Kim.
If there were a scale of formal greeting, Hello would probably sit somewhere between Hi and Dear.
Think about it, can you remember the last time you said Hello that wasnt answering a phone call?
Don’t Miss: How Do I Find My Icloud Email
How To Start And End A Professional Business Email
Email is an important part of the way we conduct business and our lives. Yet, few people know the right way to start and end a professional business email to get the best results.
In this tutorial, I’ll show you the best way to start and end a professional business email. I’ll also explain email style and discuss the importance of identifying your target audience.
Cold Email Opening Lines For Marketing & Sales
When you send an email to someone who has never heard about you, you only have a few seconds to make a good impression and make your prospect read the rest of your message.
Be personal and connect it with your pitch
- This is an email from a coffee-addicted marketer wanting to do marketing for a coffee shop. It can go even one step further if you’re drinking coffee from that very coffee shop. Go personal in a smart way!
- It perfectly fits the narrative and it’s relatively easy to make a transition
- This email got an 81% open rate
Too hard to decline offer
- Romain plays on a very appealing offer that’s tough to decline
- If you connect it with an existing pain or objective, you will motivate them to see what your cold email is about
- This intro line got 83% open rate
Be the person who gives value
- Imagine you’ve seen your prospect talk about something in a community or share it in their LinkedIn post. Now, imagine you tease them with what they are looking for straight in the intro
- You can also give them feedback on things that will bring value and position yourself as a trustworthy source on that subject
- This cold email got 80% open rate.
Mention mutual connections
You can also mention a mutual connection because recommendations are a no-brainer.
Vuk got John Barrow to join one of our webinar episodes, and this intro line definitely helped make his case.
You May Like: How To Recover An Old Email Account From Google
Sending Formal Emails To Multiple Recipients
Formatting and proofreading your business email using all the tips I mentioned will help you craft better emails for your business correspondence.
But, simply writing a formal letter will not boost your email engagement rates substantially.
Additionally, when youre emailing dozens or hundreds of recipients, youll have to add each business email address to the CC or BCC fields. But if you use BCC emails, you wont be able to add individual names, and you risk getting your message marked as spam!
If only you could turn your regular Gmail or G Suite account into a super effective cold email and mass email platform
Thats where GMass comes in.
If You Do Know Their Name:
4. Dear Mr./Mrs./Ms.
Cold emails are always best if youve done some research beforehand. That way, you can add some personalized context immediately after your greeting. For example:
Dear Mr. Smith,
I really enjoyed your last article about
Any form of personalization softens your cold email greeting, and makes it much more likely that the recipient will read on.
Read Also: Making Html Email
Considering The Full Message
All good things must come to an end, and that includes emails. Understanding how to start an email is key, but so is knowing how to end an email.
And then all you have to do is make sure youre sending your email to the right people at the right time while tracking who has responded and thinking about what your next step can be.
Maybe that sounds a little daunting. Email marketing software can help with all of that, and more. Check out a few of our favorite email softwares, like Mailchimp, SendPulse, and MailerLite, to find out which one is right for your business.
Email Opening Lines That Use Contextual Conversation
Refer to a recent meeting, an event, or a person to introduce the subject and kick off a conversation.
Email opening line examples that are topical:
- We spoke on about . Id like to discuss
- suggested I get in touch with you regarding
- It was great to see your company at !
An alternative version :
- I saw at . I think .
Email TemplatesEmail writing can be a daunting task. In some cases, especially when you write emails to your customers, its best to use email templates. You can access a collection of 260+ unique email designs that usually need only minor copy tweaks. Create your free Tidio account to try them out and send beautiful emails in minutes.
You should bear in mind that some of the common email formulas and phrases have lost their potency over the years:
Email opening lines that are overused or dont work:
- Did you enjoy your ? It looks forced and it can be an intrusion into somebodys personal lifenot a good choice if you are not friends.
- Did you know that ? It may come across as patronizing. You can grab someones attention by throwing at them an interesting statistic that they most probably dont know, but you dont need to rub it in their faces.
- I would like to introduce myself. Dont announce it. Just do it if you really need to. However, it is not the best opening line. Its better to get straight to the point. Your correspondence partners will check your email signature anyway.
You May Like: How Can I Find All Of My Email Addresses
Consider The Context Of The Message
Lastly, for your email to make sense , the greeting should be in keeping with the rest of your message. The tone, purpose, and style of your email must be reflected in the way you address the recipient. If theres a mismatch, then you risk causing confusion.
Say youre sending a message to a loyal customer to announce theyve been carefully selected to benefit from an exciting new promotion. The context of the message would suggest youd address the email in a personalized and friendly manner, such as Hey ! To start it with Dear sir/madam would be incongruous and confusing.
Additional Reading:5 Introduction Email Templates That Work in 2020
Offer Thanks And Close
Thank the recipient for their time before you end the email. Acknowledge that they probably have a busy schedule and you appreciate their time. Use a professional closing, such as Sincerely, and include your contact information under your signature. You could also include links to your online professional profile or work portfolio.
Recommended Reading: How To Send Pictures From Samsung Phone To Email
Email Greetings To Avoid
Avoid these commonly used email greeting lines when writing formal emails:
- To Whom It May Concern: Using “to whom it may concern” lacks personality, customization, and a choice not to spend time researching the recipients name.
- Dear Sir or Madam: Using “Dear sir or madam” is considered poor business etiquette. As it implies the recipients name is unknown and falsely suggests a preferred gender of the recipient.
- I Hope This Email Finds You Well: A generic greeting used when the recipient’s name is unknown. This generic greeting can trigger an email readers’ spam filtering technology.
- Hey/Yo/Whats Up: These would be an informal greeting. And doesn’t suggest a professional email. Variations of these informal introductions include Hey guys or Whats up guys!
Ways To Start A Formal Email
Now that your greeting is out of the way, you can work on creating an introduction. These introductory sentences an email starters are ideal ways to start an email for formal occasionswhich should be your default if you dont know the person with whom youre engaging. Theyre a good segue from your generic greeting to the core content of your message:
Read Also: Mass Delete Email Iphone
Useful Expressions When Looking For A Job
Writing emails to your future employer with a cover letter included is another story. Start the conversation with the recruiter in a professional way. But how do you do that? How should you address a recruiter when sending your resume or CV?
Lets assume you dont know the name of the email recipient. Here are some useful expressions for this situation.
This is a fairly neutral greeting for anyone contacting a recruiter when you dont know the name of that person.
Dear Hiring Team,
This is a good alternative to the first opening. With this phrase, you include more people who are involved in the hiring process.
Dear Hiring Manager,
This one sounds more formal, but its still a good choice for a job application email. This email fits well in a corporate environment with a more official company structure.
Hi , Hi Team,
I would use this greeting for a company that seems to have a more casual work environment. These greetings underline the fact that youd like to join the company because youre addressing the entire team. For example, if a company has strong employer branding with a strong were a tribe attitude, Id definitely go with this one.
Sign up and get a gift!
Join the mailing list and get a practical guide to email communication.