Search For Domain In Spam Databases
Mail-tester will also tell you if you have any problem with your IP address reputation and if it is blocked on online databases. However, you can manually check the databases as well. We found a handy list at sendgrid. You should check with domain URL and IP address to find if you triggered any warnings.
Bonus: check MailChimps own complaint report inside each campaign. Maybe try to find a pattern like reporting users domain or problem. Read MailChimps compliance article to further better your understand.
What Is Email Deliverability And Why Does It Matter
Simply put, email deliverability is the ability to hit a recipients inbox.
In order to be a successful email marketer, you need to pay attention to the signals youre getting from your audience and adapt your sending strategy to elicit the highest levels of engagement.
If youve been emailing your customers for a while and arent seeing the results youd like or notice that your communications keep ending up in the spam folder, there may be some foundational issues in your email marketing strategy that you can improve upon.
There are many factors that go into determining how emails are placed within a recipients inbox and they may differ between providers.
Gmails algorithm on determining whether an email is going to be placed in the recipients primary inbox differs from what Outlook relies on to make the same decision. To add to the uncertainty, neither you nor your email marketing platform has any insight into the specifics behind those algorithms.
You may ask, Then how do I even know what to do?! Thats a great question! There are a number of steps you can take to help you go from your customers spam folder to their primary inbox.
Its actually fairly straightforwardit all comes down to engaged recipients.
How To Find Gmails Spam Folder And Delete Spam Emails
Heres a step-by-step guide on how to find your spam folder in Gmails webmail interface and mobile app.Ill also show you how you can delete spam emails to clear up your spam folder.
A. On the Web App
Heres how to find Gmails spam folder in the web app:
1. Open Gmail and sign in to your email account from your computer.2. Scroll down on the left sidebar that displays all the folders, including your inbox folder.3. Click on the More option and scroll down to find the spam folder.
4. Click on the spam folder .
5. To delete a single spam message, select it and click the bin icon at the extreme right to delete it.
6. To delete all the spam emails in the folder, click the check box at the top left to select all messages and click Delete forever.
7. You can also empty your spam folder with one click. All you have to do is click Delete all spam messages now from the notification that appears above.
B. On the Mobile App
Heres how to navigate the Gmail app to find your spam folder:
1. Log in to your Gmail account on your iPhone or Android device.2. Click the three bars in the upper-left corner to open the main menu.
3. Scroll down, and youll find the spam folder.
4. To clear your spam folder in one go, tap on Empty Spam now at the top.
5. To delete a singlemessage, select the message and tap delete at the top right.
Also Check: How Do I Recover Deleted Emails From Gmail
How To Improve Email Sender Scores
It can only take a few weeks to greatly improve your sender score and any email deliverability issues. The recommendations above such as scrubbing spam traps and complainers, removing invalid email addresses, ensuring healthy DNS records including PTR, DKIM, rDNS, and SPF will satisfy requirements for all mail service providers. Using the email spam checker to analyze your content can also identify buzz words associated with blacklisted keywords. The email deliverability test will incorporate message content, DNS records, and sender reputation into one easy report to identify any possible inboxing issues.
Using a dedicated IP address for sending is also recommended to avoid overlapping with other senders that may be using more aggressive tactics. As bounce rates greatly lower your sender reputation will quickly improve. At this point it can be easy to maintain these standards with routine email list cleaning and use of our real-time email validation API.
How To Unhide Your Spam Folder In Gmail
When you set up your Gmail or Google account, the spam folder is hidden by default on the web app.
Fortunately, you can change your Gmail spam folder to Show, making it easier to monitor how many spam emails you receive and check that important emails arent going to the spam folder accidentally.
Note: On the Gmail mobile app, the Spam folder is shown by default.
Heres how to unhide your spam folder in Gmail:
1. Log in to Gmail, click on the Settings icon and select See all settings.
2. Click on the Labels tab.
3. Click on Show next to the Spam label.
4. Now, your Spam folder should appear on your Mailbox Menu with the rest of your folders.
Read Also: Find All My Email Addresses
How To Stop Emails Going To Spam In Outlook
As with other providers, following best practices like regularly scrubbing your list of disengaged contacts, authenticating emails, and sending high-quality and relevant content will decrease the odds your emails go to spam in Outlook.
Senders using a dedicated IP address can request access to Microsoft’s Smart Network Data Services . SNDS is essentially Outlooks Postmaster tools. It allows marketers to request access to their IP range and see data on subscriber complaints, email volume, spam trap hits, etc.
In addition, senders can enroll in Outlooks feedback loop service to receive copies of messages their recipients have marked as spam. If you are following best practices and still encountering deliverability issues, you can submit a support ticket to Microsoft directly.
What Is The Can
The CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 spells out commercial email sending standards in the US.
Enforced by the Federal Trade Commission , the CAN-SPAM Act empowers email recipients to stop senders from emailing them.
Note that the CAN-SPAM Act applies to both bulk and individual email sent from any business.
Heres a rundown of the acts essential rules to help you send CAN-SPAM-compliant emails:
You May Like: How To Write An Email To Schedule An Interview
How To Find Your Gmail Spam Folder On Desktop
1. Open Gmail in any internet browser on your Mac or PC.
2. In the left sidebar, you’ll see all your folders, including your general Inbox. Scroll down, if needed, and select More.
3. Click on the Spam folder. This will be labeled with an exclamation point icon set inside an octagon.
4. Any messages currently marked as spam will appear in this folder. These will automatically delete after 30 days.
Quick tip: You can delete spam messages one at a time by ticking the box next to the message and clicking Delete forever. Or you can do it in bulk by clicking the blank check box at the top-left to select all messages and then selecting Delete forever.
Why Do Emails Go To Spam
Despite me explicitly requesting to be added to these companies email lists, Gmails spam filter had determined I was not going to miss emails from these brands if they put them in spam instead of my inbox. That’s not a great place to be as a brand or marketer!
So why is gmail classifying these emails as spam? The message they tag spam with makes it pretty clear:
Why is this message in spam? It is similar to messages that were identified as spam in the past.
In the case of the message above, this was a legitimate transactional message from a new subscription service I had just joined. I had to dig it out of my spam folder because the companies email domain reputation was so poor that even their payment receipts end up in spam.
Also Check: How To Access Deleted Gmail Emails
You Dont Have Permission To Email Subscribers
The #1 rule of email marketing is to get permission to email first. Never buy a list of email addresses, or you risk violating the CAN-SPAM Act and may be subject to penalties of up to $16,000. Oh, and thats $16,000 per email:
That means if youve been sending an automated email series to people who havent given you permission, youre looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines.
To get permission, youll need an optin form on your site that makes it perfectly clear that your visitors are subscribing to your email list.
Heres an example of OptinMonsters sidebar optin form:
When a user fills out this optin form, its crystal clear that theyll be joining OptinMonsters email list.
Another way that marketers harm their email campaigns is by manually adding emails that they get from business cards collected at a conference or from social media.
Lets be clear on this: Dont do that.
While you may think that they would appreciate your newsletter, sending emails to them violates the CAN-SPAM Act because they did not give you permission.
Instead, you should send those leads personalized emails rather than templated newsletters. Follow up with a separate drip campaign, personal email, or autoresponder series designed just for those leads and give them a chance to optin to your newsletter.
The Solution To Emails Going To Spam What Can You Do
The solution is to stop hosting emails with mass or badly configured email servers. As a professional company, you should no longer rely on mass email providers. An external and professional email server is necessary for peak performance and customization.
The most well-known email servers are Zoho, GSuite and Microsoft. For example, Microsoft costs $15 per email and GSuite costs $4. Zoho is the cheapest with only $1 per email and also one of the most advanced email providers in the world, if not even better than its two competitors Google and Microsoft.
In the case of moving to another dedicated email server, you have to change the old MXP entries to the newly selected dedicated email server. Within a few hours, the email service then switches to the new email server.
The spam problem is then usually solved in most cases. SPF, DKIM and DMARC entries are often not even necessary because these servers assign a dedicated and unique IP to your email, which is not marked by any other server as spam. Even so, Zoho allows DKIM entries. So, if you want to be on the safe side, you can turn on all the standards of SPF, DKIM and DMARC.
Another solution is to host a server yourself , and then configure an email service completely under its own dedicated IP. However, this is a relatively tedious and expensive configuration.
Recommended Reading: Access Archived Emails Outlook
Keep Your Recipients Interested
The success of your business is dependent on your customers, make it the goal of your email program to maintain their interest.
Unlike social media followers, you own your subscriber email list. Theres no gatekeeper that charges you every time you send an email, but subscribers are only valuable if you can reach them. Send out emails with evergreen, valuable content at the right time for each subscriber. This keeps them happy and satisfied with your product or service long after the initial transaction.
You Dont Include An Unsubscribe Link
Laws like CAN-SPAM in the U.S. clearly state that your emails must include a clear way to unsubscribe. Additionally, if someone does click on the unsubscribe link, youll need to process that request within 10 days, and you cant force the user to jump through any hoops.
While this might seem like a bad thing , it can actually have the opposite effect, provided that your content is strong. Giving people an easy way to get off your subscriber list shows that your brand is trustworthy.
On the other hand, hiding or simply not providing an unsubscribe option is a sure-fire way to frustrate people. It can also result in negative press about your newsletter , and generally rub people the wrong way.
You May Like: How Do I Recover Deleted Emails From My Gmail Account
Create Quality Email Content
If you dont want your legitimate message to be marked as a spam email, make sure the header has all the valid information, including the From, To, and domain name, etc.
Try to keep your email body simple and concise without using spammy words. Additionally, avoid using all caps for your email message and subject line.
Personalize emails by adding your recipients name, and ensure that your emails are multiple-email-client compatible by ensuring:
- The links and images have absolute paths.
- The email contains clear preview texts.
And dont forget to run grammar checks before sending your emails!
How To Avoid Emails Going To Spam Summarized
1. Be careful about your sender reputation . Dont forget, the higher your sender score is the higher the possibility of reaching the targeted inbox folder.
2. You can authenticate your domain with the Zoho Campaign tool.
3. You need to have a good domain and IP reputation
To keep the rates mentioned above ideal, you should:
- Have a list that is free of inactive email addresses,
- Create relevant contents to reduce complaints,
- Keep your mail volume and frequency consistent,
- Set appropriate expectations for your subscribers when sending a welcome email, and
- Create email campaigns that enable your audience to engage in the matter.
Moreover, after you check your domain and IP reputation via Talos, you will be shown a reputation as Good, Neutral or Poor .
- If the result is Poor, the best thing to do is set up a new email and work on a good reputation by warming it up.
- If the result is Neutral, you can try to improve it by optimizing your sending workflow .
4. Take your customers permission to receive emails from you.
5. Set an email sending frequency based on your customers wants and needs.
6. Increase your open rates by:
- Using engaging language
- Picking the right time for your customers
- Keeping your email list fresh and full of active emails
- Segmenting your email list based on needs and wants of the target audience
7. You should use a double opt-in form in order to collect real data and provide your value to people who want them.
You May Like: How To Find Email In Archive